The Mosley Wrought Iron Arch Bridge is a beloved Merrimack landmark. But it wasn’t always situated on campus.
The first bridge in the United States to incorporate the use of riveted wrought iron plates, the bridge was built in 1857 to span the North Canal in Lawrence, Massachusetts. Named for its designer, Thomas Mosely, the bridge eventually fell into disrepair.
In 1989, Dr Francis E. Griggs arranged to have the bridge brought to the College in four separate pieces. Griggs and his students worked to restore and reconstruct the bridge into its current condition.
Check out the photos in this slideshow to see how a bridge gets moved.
📷 credits: Staff of the 1995 Merrimackan Yearbook